[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Sugar-starchart, flipsticks, labyrinth in Fedora Rawhide fails to install due to no python3 activity port

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jan 17 17:13:47 EST 2021

Thanks for testing.

For StarChart, the latest release is for Python 2.  Work on a port to
Python 3 was begun but not completed.

https://github.com/sugarlabs/starchart/pull/8

For Flip Sticks, the latest release is for Python 3, but Fedora
project is not yet packaging that release.  I suggest upgrading to
v14.

For Labyrinth, the latest release is for GTK 2 and Python 2.  The
upstream project says nobody is maintaining it, but there has been
recent work this year on a port to GTK 3.

https://github.com/labyrinth-team/labyrinth/tree/gtk3

As this situation goes beyond SoaS, I've CC'd sugar-devel@ in case any
developers there wish to get involved.  I suggest you might like to do
the same.

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 12:51:48PM -0800, Alex Perez wrote:
> Ibiam,
>
> As of tonight's latest nightly build, sugar-starchart will not install, due
> to the missing python2 toolkit dependency. Are you planning on fixing this
> prior to the release of Fedora 34, which would need to be in the next week
> or two?
>

> All of the above activities fail to install for the same reason: the missing
> python2 sugar toolkit dependency:
>
> * sugar-flipsticks
> * sugar-labyrinth
> * sugar-starchart
>
> DNF fails with:
>
>  Problem: conflicting requests
>   - nothing provides sugar-toolkit needed by
> sugar-starchart-16-12.fc31.noarch
> (try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)
>
> Additionally, sugar-distance and sugar-fototoon will install, but does not
> execute properly. Given that sugar-distance doesn't actually work properly
> with non-XO laptpos, I strongly recommend we retire the package, and remove
> it entirely from Rawhide, so it will be properly gone in F34. The same goes
> for the other activities above, if we don't expect to fix them in the next
> week or two.
>
> Regards,
> Alex Perez

James Cameron