[Sugar-devel] Compatibility report on latest Debian-based sugar live build - Xorg fails to load due to missing firmware

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jan 17 22:03:36 EST 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 06:18:14PM -0800, Alex Perez wrote:
> James Cameron wrote on 1/17/2021 6:12 PM:
> > It sounds like you share some of the same intentions as Martin Guy,
> > who needed i386 support.  He found what he needed with Trisquel.  Have
> > you tried that?
> No, I'm interested in running on x86_64, EFI-compliant hardware.  I
> have no need or desire for Trisquel.

Thanks.  That's my problem too; I'm not interested in i386, I'm not
interested in Trisquel, in Fedora, or SoaS.  In turn, because of how
I'm funded.

The situation reminds me of Jussi Pakkanen's talk at linux.conf.au
about this time last year, where he described several open source
project interations (iLN6wL7ExHU from 8:47 to 17:50), eventually
concluding that

"What does it say about the OSS community, if cooperating with people
using something other than your chosen tool is seen as an act of
desperation?"

https://lca2020.linux.org.au/schedule/presentation/87/

My perspective is that expanding to include i386 or non-free packages
is effectively a request to expand my scope of software maintenance,
and that I should instead reduce complexity to reduce cost of
maintenance.

A more correct solution within this perspective is for you to use
Fedora.

--
James Cameron
https://quozl.linux.org.au/