[Sugar-devel] Mode of distribution of Sugar Activities

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jun 30 02:24:42 EDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:22:41AM +0300, Srevin Saju wrote:
> Thanks
>
>     Yes, there is no single source of Python 3 activity bundles.  There
>     was for Python 2 activities; it was activities.sugarlabs.org.
>
> I hope aslov4 would solve this issue. I have now uploaded entire
> successfully built Python3 bundles to
> https://github.com/srevinsaju/sugar-activity-build/ releases. You
> can check them out if you are interested and get some spare time.

Thanks.  That there is no single source of Python 3 activity bundles
doesn't really cause a problem for me.  I don't need aslov4 to fix it.
There's more to the dependency problems than Python version.  That's
why I said in the aslov4 idea "(a) ported to Python 3 and released,
and (b) tested on Sugar Live Build."

>     Yes, there is no single source of activity sources.  Best we have is
>     GitHub sugarlabs org, where directory activity has a file
>     activity.info which has a valid exec key.  But also gitorious.
>
> By 'no single source', is there any instance of python3 activities on
> gitorious?

You'd have to look.  I don't know of any.  Ibiam is probably right,
but as Gitorious is still open, commits may be pushed, and so there is
a possibility that a repository there may contain activity source
compatible with Python 3.  I don't think you need to concern yourself
with it though.

> I wanted to know if all the python3 activities are either forked or
> owned as a repository at sugarlabs GitHub organization? or does it
> still exist at some other places?

You'd have to look.  There can be activities for Sugar that are not
part of the GitHub sugarlabs organisation.  We have seen several over
the years, and we try to fork them, but there's no guarantee that we
have been successful.  I don't think you need to concern yourself
with it though.

Remember that in my design for aslov4, it must "support activity
bundles uploaded via ssh," and may also "for a specific list of
activities, access the source repository and detect any change to a
release tag (publish), create a bundle and extract release notes,"

I'm looking forward to those two features in particular.

Some source repositories are used to make multiple activity bundles;
Wikipedia and TamTam are examples.

I'm not interested in GitHub integration, because I don't always use
GitHub, and some of the use cases for aslov4 are for situation where
no internet access is available.

>     Yes, aslov4 as specified in our GSoC project idea could look like it
>     was a smaller than normal project, but if you iterate through each of
>     the requirements it could easily fill the time available for a GSoC
>     student working for 12 weeks of seven hours a weekday.
>
> Yes I agree. ASLOv4 is not an easy task. I am not sure when Manish
> (radii.dev) would be free, I will try to complete the best I can, to
> my knowledge.

Thanks.

--
James Cameron