[Sugar-devel] GSOC Project Update - 29th June 2020

Saumya Mishra 2017230 at iiitdmj.ac.in
Mon Jun 29 11:49:24 EDT 2020

Hello  all,

I have summarised all work done by me on my GSOC Project - Port Sugar and
core activities to Python 3 and how I am going to proceed further.

*Review the Sugar source code changes since 0.112 that were made for
porting to Python 3, & Fix regressions in Sugar, the Toolkit , and the
Datastore*

   - *Sugar* : Work on issues found while reviewing and made code changes
   in #922 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/922> , also work on fix
   of issue #923 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/issues/923>

Opened issue - #924 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/issues/924> , Work
> on fix of some errors mentioned in #921
> <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/921> , Minor PEP8 fixes - #919
> <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/919>

   - *Sugar-datastore* : Work on testing and debugging with different
   activities -#21
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore/pull/21>currently
   issue addressed there is not reproducible
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore/pull/21>
   - *Browse-Activity* :  Work on regressions , fixing some errors and
   warnings #111 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/browse-activity/pull/111>
   - *Log-Activity* : Work on regression - #22
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/log-activity/pull/22>

Open issue found while testing - #21
> <https://github.com/sugarlabs/log-activity/issues/21>

   - *sugar-toolkit-gtk3* : test and debug issue - #441
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/issues/441>
   - *turtleart-activity *: work on a open issue #80
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/turtleart-activity/pull/80>

Work on incomplete Gtk3 port - #82
> <https://github.com/sugarlabs/turtleart-activity/pull/82> , Minor PEP8
> fixes - #81 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/turtleart-activity/pull/81>

*Port Telepathy bindings to TelepathyGLib ,  **Port activities to Python 3
and P**ort to the latest Sugargame or CollabWrapper library *

   - *cookie-search-activity* : Port to TelepathyGLib , Python 3 and work
   on fix of collaboration by using CollaWrapper library. #21
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/cookie-search-activity/pull/21>
   - *geotonky-activity* :  Port to Python3 , GObject to GLib , Port to
   latest Sugargame and other fixes. #4
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/geotonky-activity/pull/4>
   - *locosugar* : Port to GLib and Python 3 and other fixes #14
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/locosugar/pull/14>
   - *Frotz* : Port from GObject to GLib , to Gtk3 and to Python 3 #7
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/Frotz/pull/7>
   - *solar-system* : Port to Python 3 , WebKit 2  and other minor fixes #3
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/solar-system/pull/3>
   - *training-activity* : GConf to GioSettings and Python3 Port #2
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/training-activity/pull/2>
   - *VncLauncher* : Port to Gtk3 , Python 3 port , fix the use of distro
   specific x11vnc #9 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/VncLauncher/pull/9>
   - *showntell-activity* : Port to Python 3 and fixes #16
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/showntell-activity/pull/16>
   - *infoslicer* : Port to Python 3 , Port from sgmllib to html.parser #34
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/infoslicer/pull/34>
   - *activity-turtle-flags* : Rebase and merge with TurtleArt and Port to
   Python 3 #8 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/activity-turtle-flags/pull/8>
   - *yupana* : Port to Python 3 , TelepathyGlib , Work on fix of
   collaboration #4 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/yupana/pull/4>
   - *stick-hero-activity* : Port to Python 3 , Update Sugargame and
   license ( can work further after the release of last version of Python 2 )
   #1 <https://github.com/JuiP/stick-hero-activity/pull/1>
   - *arithmetic* : Fix svg , Port to Gtk3 and Python3 #7
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/arithmetic/pull/7>
   - *PolariActivity* : Fix for the use of Distro Specific twisted , Port
   to Python 3  #7 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/PolariActivity/pull/7>

*Other fixes and open issues *

   - *mastermind-activity* - IndexError: list index out of range #5
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/mastermind-activity/issues/5>
   - *infoslicer* : Fix ObjectChooser #6
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/infoslicer/issues/35>
   - *write-activity* : Tested Collaboration widely #40
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/write-activity/issues/40>
   - *pukllanapac* : Fix Typo f9b679
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/pukllanapac/commit/f9b67979dbe8cf2e8c4024b06eba52d0ef9d6e41>
    #12 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/pukllanapac/issues/12>
   - *recall* : Fix Pango-Warning 8c4b49
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/recall/commit/8c4b49f00d231fedf4ed50a1f7f017811fdc8dd8>
   - *AnalyzeJournal* : Typeconversion from float to str  #14
   <https://github.com/sugarlabs/AnalyzeJournal/pull/14>

Future Plans :

   - Work on Several activities mentioned above which are in progress.
   - Test coverage for fructose activities and code changes made in sugar .
   - Test and fix regressions caused by earlier port to Python 3 in
   fructose activities and in toolkit.
   - Work on fix of collaboration for different activities.

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks
Saumya Mishra