[Sugar-devel] Port Sugar and core activities to Python3 - Project Update

Saumya Mishra 2017230 at iiitdmj.ac.in
Sat Jun 13 06:04:07 EDT 2020

Hello,

My progress on the GSoc Project so far-

----Test and review old commits of *sugar* and *sugar-datastore* (port to
python3 commits only) , find most of the issues in sugar which was related
to encoding and decoding of byte data, I opened pull requests as well as
worked on some issues - #922  <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/922> |
#21 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-datastore/pull/21> | #923
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/issues/923>

----Test Collaboration of *fructose* activities , I tested *write*, *chat*
and *pippy* in detail. Found some issues , I have opened pull requests and
issues for that. Some of the major issues I found seem related to earlier
python3 ports commits which have done without proper testing. The links of
my work so far regarding this - #921
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/921> | #40
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/write-activity/issues/40> | #924
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/issues/924>

----Debug and test issue found by *find-words-activity* #411
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/issues/441> and* pippy* in
collab wrapper #24 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/collabwrapper/pull/24>

----*Turtle-Art* : Test and find that port to gtk3 was incomplete, work on
fixing along with some minor updates in sprites.py #82
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/turtleart-activity/pull/82> | #81
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/turtleart-activity/pull/81>

----*locosugar *: Fix screen resolution and make it compatible with all
screen sizes , fix warning erroneous pipeline which was mainly caused by
old audio player modules , @Jui Pradhan <juipradhan2k at gmail.com> is also
working with me in some issues found there. She will also look into release
once my changes get merged. #14
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/locosugar/pull/14>

----*activity-turtle-flags : *Rebase and merge with TurtleArt , Port to
Python3 , GTK3 and from GConf to GioSettings. The changes here is done ,
required reviews. #8
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/activity-turtle-flags/pull/8>

----*PolariActivity : *Work on Port to Python3 , some minor fixes and
deletion of zope, constantly , twisted and incremental source files as
distro packages will be supported here i.e. *python3-twisted* . Found a
major issue which is UnicodeDecodeError while testing , which only needs to
be solved. #7 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/PolariActivity/pull/7>

----*stick-hero-activity : *Work on port of python3 , update to latest
sugargame and major testing . Jui is working on the last python2 release ,
I will work on port after that #1
<https://github.com/JuiP/stick-hero-activity/pull/1>.

----*infoslicer :* work on port to python3 and from sgmllib to html.parser
is done. infoslicer uses two copies of beautifulsoup , which needs to be
merged in one somehow. Suggestions are to use the distro package of*
BeautifulSoup *as it is a good practice nowadays. It is still in progress.
#34 <https://github.com/sugarlabs/infoslicer/pull/34>

Link of other found issues while testing #5
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/mastermind-activity/issues/5> | #35
<https://github.com/sugarlabs/infoslicer/issues/35>

I will be working on the issues I mentioned above and if Jui wants she can
work on release of activities mentioned above. Along with that as Jui
mentioned we are going to release the last python2 version of PyCut. I will
work on port to Python3 on PyCut.
I would also continue testing of activities regularly as we probably need
more testing.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and Regards
Saumya Mishra