[Sugar-devel] Facing problem in setting sugar software in Ubuntu

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Feb 6 15:35:51 EST 2020

Hello Chinmay,

Thanks for the answers.

On your system it is not yet time to run make, because autogen.sh has
failed.

On your system autogen.sh has failed because of missing dependencies.

Error and warning messages indicate missing dependencies.  The
autotools documentation explains these messages.

You must install dependencies before building each Sugar module.

For the sugar-artwork module, the dependencies on Ubuntu 18.04 are the
packages;

autotools-dev
libgtk2.0-dev
libgtk-3-dev
libglib2.0-dev
libcairo2-dev
python3-empy
x11-apps
icon-naming-utils
gnome-common

This list is specific to Ubuntu 18.04, and changes over time as Ubuntu
changes.  This list is not suitable for Fedora.  This list comes from
iterative discovery and resolution of each error.

A method of installing dependencies semi-automatically is included in
the "Native Sugar" section of "Setup a development environment"

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/development-environment.md#native-sugar

using the "build-dep" phrasing.

I don't know if you followed the "build-dep" step.

You've shown you will proceed despite errors.  Please check that a
command completes with zero exit status and work to understand and
resolve any reason why it does not.  You can check exit status in the
bash shell by typing;

	echo $?

Or you can configure bash to display the exit status on the PS1 prompt
string.

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/