[Sugar-devel] New to the community

Vipul Gupta vipulgupta2048 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:03:13 EST 2019

Hello Shubham,

Thanks for your interest in Sugar Labs, here's a quick start for you to hit
the ground running. Refer to points 14, 15, 16 for platforms where you can
connect with Sugar Labs. Including social media channels such as Facebook,
Instagram and Twitter.

1.  Use Sugar or Sugarizer,

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/how-can-i-help.md

    * by using Sugar or Sugarizer you will learn how it works, and
      what can be improved.

    * mandatory,

2.  Read our Code of Conduct,

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

    * especially note the need to choose an appropriate forum, and
      remind others to do the same,

    * mandatory,

3.  Join the developer mailing list,

    * for asking questions and helping others,

    * subscribe before posting,

    * don't use digest mode if you plan to post messages or replies,
      as it breaks threads, and please try to keep discussions public,

    * mandatory,

4.  Get a GitHub account,

    https://github.com/

    * for reporting issues, and fixing problems in source code,

    * recommended,

5.  Join the Sugar Labs GitHub organisation,

    https://github.com/sugarlabs

    * for regular source code contributors, and reviewers, by
      invitation, contact one of the existing members,

    * helpful for mail notification of GitHub activity,

    * optional,

6.  Join as a Member of Sugar Labs,

    https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Members

    * requires some contribution; code, documentation, translations,
      maintenance, running a Sugar deployment, or any other
      non-trivial activities which benefit Sugar Labs,

    * reviewed by committee,

    * optional,

7.  Get a wiki.sugarlabs.org account,

    https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/

    * needed for maintaining Wiki content,

    * needed as part of moving Wiki content to GitHub,

    * for subscribing to edit notifications.

    * optional,

8.  Get an activities.sugarlabs.org account,

    https://activities.sugarlabs.org/

    * needed for releasing new versions of Sugar activities,

    * optional,

9.  Get a shell.sugarlabs.org account,

    https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Service/shell#Requesting_a_shell_account

    * requires a justification,

    * also provides a @sugarlabs.org mail alias,

    * for releasing new versions of Sugar components, test builds,
      or large data sets,

    * for limited experimentation with non-root network services, such
      as bots or IRC proxies,

    * optional,

10. Get a translate.sugarlabs.org account,

    https://translate.sugarlabs.org/

    * if you are bi- or multi-lingual, use your skills,

    * especially if you can test Sugar activities and components, as
      this will inform your translations,

    * optional,

11. Get a bugs.sugarlabs.org account,

    https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/

    * only if you must maintain old bug reports,

    * new issues may be reported via GitHub,

    * optional,

12. Join Sugar on Fedora live system mailing list,

    * download, test, report bugs, fix bugs, package,

    * share your experience with others who focus on this
      distribution,

    * optional,

13. Join Sugar on Debian mailing lists,

    https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/blob/master/docs/debian.md#packaging

    * download, test, report bugs, fix bugs, package,

    * share your experience with others who focus on this distribution,

    * optional,

14. Join the Internet Relay Chat channel #sugar

    irc://irc.freenode.net/#sugar

    * for synchronous chat with others,

    * requires registration with freenode.net,

    * optional,

15. Join the Internet Relay Chat channel #sugar-meeting

    irc://irc.freenode.net/#sugar-meeting
    http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/

    * for meetings, but keep your own transcripts and minutes,

    * requires registration with freenode.net,

    * optional,

16. Join Gitter

    https://gitter.im/

    * for chat with others,

    * requires registration with one of several organisations,

    * optional,

17. Maintain an Activity

https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/contributing.md#checklist---maintainer

    * many learner-focused activities (apps) need simple maintenance,

    * adopt an activity you like as your focus.

Hope that helps!

See also "How to ask for directions",
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2018-October/055788.html

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 6:03 PM Shubham Chauhan <chauhanshubham089 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone, congratulations for getting selected for GSoc '19. I'm new
> to this organisation. I wanted to know if there is any other platform where
> we could connect?
> Thank you.

Cordially,
Vipul Gupta