[Sugar-devel] Google Season of Docs-2019

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sun Apr 14 20:35:41 EDT 2019

Clearly, you want to contribute to our documentation. GSOC makes clear
that Sugar Labs has at least three separate elements: Sugar, Sugarizer
and Music Blocks. I would like to see you help us with the Sugar
documentation. This is found at help.sugarlabs.org. This documentation
is made with Sphinx (http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/). Detailed
information is provided in help.sugarlabs.org/how to contribute.

We are just beginning to think about how to participate in GSOD as you
can see from the https://github.com/sugarlabs/GSoD link which is
essentially a stub. However, the above information in help.sugarlabs.org
is enough to enable you to make immediate contributions. As an example,
we need a section describing how to download and install the SOAS
version of Sugar. There are some differences in SOAS from Sugar as
implemented for the XO - e.g. SOAS does not have a 'Gnome interface'.
Another section is needed to document how to set up Ubuntu 18.04
alongside Windows and how to install Sugar (sucrose) to work with
Ubuntu. This version does provide the 'gnome interface' via Ubuntu
itself but switching between Sugar and Ubuntu is not intuitive. A third
option is Sugar on the Raspberry Pi where the alternate interface is
Raspbian. These topics may be directly useful to you as you need to be
able to use Sugar and to make screenshots.

Documentation of Sugar in the context of the XO is important since that
is the environment in which over 90% of our users operate. Further
documentation that emphasizes pictures (mostly screenshots) and
minimizes text is critical since the majority of our uses do not speak
English as a native language and attend schools where the medium of
instruction is the native language.

Looking forward to seeing you contribution. Please feel free to ask for
help on Sugar-Devel and to the Sugar Labs education committee by the
IAEP mailing list or to me directly if I can be of help.

Yours,

Tony