[Sugar-devel] licensing question

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu May 24 18:05:58 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 11:52:31AM +0000, D. Joe wrote:
> [...]
> Then
>
>   git clone https://example.com/some/path
>
> at this point, what's done depends on the package in question, but it's entirely possible to launch an activity from that directory, or to install it by copying it into ~/Activities
>
> That's off the top of my head, from memory, and may require some minor tweaks, but I did see 10 people do this within the last month.

Yes, that's a viable method for some users.

For non-english locales, an extra build step via setup.py sets up the
translations.

Cloning might be made more accessible by wrapping it in a user
interface;

- in the Develop activity https://github.com/godiard/develop-activity

- as a control panel extension in My Settings
  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/tree/master/extensions/cpsection

Imagine an app store presentation embedded in Sugar, with GitHub as
backend.  No infrastructure required.

Would you like to take it on?  ;-)

--
James Cameron