[Sugar-devel] licensing question

D. Joe sugarlabs at etrumeus.com
Thu May 24 07:52:31 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 02:27:59PM +0800, Tony Anderson wrote:

[personal calumny and squabbling elided]
> The only way Sugar users can access activities not already installed
> is by ASLO (unless we have some really carefully hidden source).

Open the Terminal activity

if not yet installed, install git from upstream repos, eg

  dnf install git

or

  apt install git

depending on the underlying distro (which, remember, constitutes the bulk of the system and on which Sugar has a hard dependency).

Then

  git clone https://example.com/some/path

at this point, what's done depends on the package in question, but it's entirely possible to launch an activity from that directory, or to install it by copying it into ~/Activities

That's off the top of my head, from memory, and may require some minor tweaks, but I did see 10 people do this within the last month.