[Sugar-devel] Regarding "permission to collaborate" on issues

Vipul Gupta vipulgupta2048 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 05:50:40 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

>From the past few days, I am noticing issues popping up in Sugar Labs
repository on Github about *asking permission to work on issues* as also
mentioned by Walter here [1] I wanted to take the time present my thoughts
over it. First up, submitting a pull request is not a race. This is not a
competition and sometimes it seems like everything in this world is a
competition but I realized that here in Open-Source, here in Sugar Labs
that is not true. It's quite the opposite.

We must realize that pull requests are an easy path to improve the
codebase, contribute to the organization and much more. Not just more green
dots on the profile page. We must think and act like contributors, not like
.. contenders. From the last month, I have been working and contributing to
Sugar Labs, I feel I have grown so much.

Quoting @quozl here

> What matters is the pull request. This new practice of asking for
> permission to work on something, perhaps in the hope of being the one who
> will win the task, goes against our Sugar Labs culture
> <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs>. If someone else solves the
> problem before you, in a way that is better than your solution, we'll take
> it gladly.

In all honesty, I asked for the permission to work on an issue myself. But
one should learn from their mistakes and from other's mistakes. Hence I
would request all participants to read [2] at least once before hitting the
"Submit pull request" button the next time and work and collaborate.

Happy Contributing !!

--
Cordially,
Vipul Gupta

[1] - https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-docs/pull/148
[2] -
https://github.com/walterbender/sugar-docs/blob/master/src/contributing.md

Ps.
- I apologize for the rant, but I think it was my duty to put forward my
opinions and help the community grow in more constructive manner.
- Last night, I received a message from someone requesting me to
collaborate on an issue that I was working on. I was taken aback, hence
from then, I thought about to write this mail and make people more aware.