[Sugar-devel] Minor update to Make Your Own Sugar Activities!

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu May 18 21:38:10 EDT 2017

Hi, James

Actually Sugar has files, directories and a command shell (Terminal
activity). It is relatively easy to switch activities via the Frame. I
say this from several years of experience developing on the XO (easier
than using usb keys to move code to the XO to test). The fact that
Browse does not support flex and the unique XO screen, programming for
the XO requires testing on an XO.

The issue is not to use Sugar for everything, it is to use the available
computer for everything (XO). In general, the XO is the first computer
our users have used and, aside from an Android device, the only computer
available. While used desktops and laptops are available, the $100+
funds are not available.

The 'current setup' you mention depends on ready access to the internet,
something not available for at least 2/3 of our users. It is wrong to
send a message to our learners that they cannot participate unless they
have ready access to the internet

It is a strength of Sugar that the source code is immediately available
to the user without need of a repository (except access to activities
not installed - a need supplied by a schoolserver). This allows learners
to get into programming in a meaningful way using only what is installed
on the XO.

Tony