[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SLOBS] MOTION: French visa for Samson Goddy to attend 10-year Anniversary Scratch Conf / 50-year Anniversary of Logo

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jun 14 04:18:09 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 07:53:23PM +0100, Samson Goddy wrote:
> This was a project i did in 2014.. Because kids using the xo laptops
> were actually playing those mentioned games online.

Yes, a noble reason.  Playing locally instead of online reduces
bandwidth demand.  More kids can play.

> I had to port them as a activity for sugar. I didn't write or own
> the swf.

Ah, thanks for that.  Until now I thought you had written them,
because that's how activities.sugarlabs.org presented them.

> It is free, there are versions for those in Android which are free
> also.

Can you tell me exactly where you downloaded it from?  You see, I'm
having trouble finding where, because there are so many versions.

Once I find out where, I can discover the license.

> So if you think it is against Sugar Labs culture, i recommend you
> take it down yourself.

I'll avoid the culture issue, since we are not homogenous, and stick
to the copyright and license issue.

As far as I can see, you have downloaded the .swf files and attached
the GPLv3+ license to the bundle.  You also wrote some really cool
Python code to run Gnash, and you licensed that code as GPLv2+; your
name is on the top line.

Since you did these things, you're responsible for taking them down as
much as anyone.  ;-)

Here's the details of the two files;

--

Kunfu-1

Kunfu.swf, but no Kunfu.fla

Kunfu.activity/README.txt says (C)kunfu,

Screenshot says "Legend of the Dragon Fist", and "A Ben Olding Game -
www.benolding.co.uk".  I've written to Ben to check the license.

http://www.bikerchicks4u.com/games/game/358/ has the same md5sum and size.

--

Football-1

Football.swf, and Football.fla has a "Saved by Adobe Flash Windows 9.0
build 494 timecount = 1241204734" tag, which could be 2nd May 2009.

README.txt says EatBoom.FLA developed by Innovations for Learning
http://www.innovationsforlearning.org

The same README.txt file is in EatBoom-2 uploaded by Wade Brainerd.

Actually, EatBoom.fla is the same file as Football.fla.

I've not been able to find an online source of Football.swf; too many
choices.

--

I've marked both activities as disabled in activities.sugarlabs.org
until we can resolve this license issue.  Thanks for your patience,

EatBoom-2 does properly credit an author that isn't Wade.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/