[Sugar-devel] Proxy Settings Feature in the recent versions of sugar

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 17:12:33 EDT 2016

Hi Manash,

I don't know why the feature page says 100% complete.  Maybe it was
included in sugar-dextrose which IDK where the code is for nowdays.

Anyway, it it looking good.  Overall, I saw it and thought that
manually setting environment variables was very messy.  But consulting
the archlinux wiki told me that that is the way to do it, and that this
is not handled by network manager or anything :(.

Overall handwavy comment:  currently we have to rewrite the proxy.sh
script every time we change the proxy.  Why don't we hardcode the
proxy.sh script to read from some gsettings (eg. gsettings get
org.sugarlabs.network.http-proxy) and then just change the gsettings in
the control panel.  That would probably reduce the amount of code, and
remove the whole polkit thing.

Anyway, it would be good it anybody who knows more about proxies could
comment!

Thanks,
Sam