[Sugar-devel] GSOC 2016

Devin Ulibarri devin at ulibarri.website
Mon Mar 7 11:59:04 EST 2016

On Mon, 2016-03-07 at 14:02 +0530, yoshita arora wrote:
> I have had a look at all the links as suggested for the project, and
> there are certain things I wanted to clear:
>

> 1) Do I have to implement what's given in the proposal.txt file in
> "final" folder of "tempo"?

I think that the GCI student wrote the said proposal.txt file.

(The file starts like this)
> For the UI of Music Blocks with the additional of the tempo feature...

The proposal here is less important than the main goal.

The main goal is to program the GCI student's implementation so that it exports the tempo the user experiences as a block in the main Music Blocks interface.

(have you tried the student's widget? It has bouncing balls and you can change the rate that they bounce [tempo]. What is missing is some way to export that tempo to music blocks code.)

> 2) Also, could you please elaborate a bit more for where and what
> should I start implementing for "Rhythm" and the "pitch stairs"? What
> could be some possible bitsize tasks regarding these two that I could
> start implementing and could get familiar with the code base as soon
> as possible?

I would recommend to start with rhythm rulers first.

User should start with:
1. a line (a whole note)
2. be able to dissect the line by a certain number (into x or y number
of parts to create half, quarter, sixteenth etc. notes).
3. be able to repeat the process.

(proportions should all have absolute visual fidelity [i.e. whole
is /exactly/ twice as long as half)

4. some method of audio playback (clicks or drums)
5. a way to export the result as music blocks code (rhythm blocks)

I imagine that you either want to start with:
a) implementing a simple UI of the rulers and dissection functionality
(click and prompt a number for division)
b) start with a back-end of audio playback and blocks export.

I hope this helps a little. The main design picture is the file
"rhythm-ruler-design.jpg"

Also, understand know next to *nothing* about coding... I am the music
guy!

--
Devin Ulibarri
www.devinulibarri.com/Bio