[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Apr 20 09:04:37 EDT 2016

Hi

On 20 April 2016 at 08:35, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> While SLOB can vote on this, personally I think it is up to the developer
> community to decide.

Sure, that's reasonable. How does the developer community resolve
conflicts?

> Can you summarize the recent discussion to date and ask for a thumbs
> up/down from active developers?

*Problem:*

Sugar's software development is scattered across trac, gitorious (which is
now unmaintained), and github. I think this is harmful to Sugar primarily
because it pushes away new contributors - love's email is a great example -
and secondarily because it makes existing contributor's lives more painful
as - as Sam said - everything should be in 1 place; and also because - as
Walter said - the systems team is spending needless time on these systems.
2 proposals emerged from the discussion:

*Solution 1:*

Consolidate on Github. Set trac and gitorious read only, and then making it
a static html archive, while moving all issue tracking and git hosting of
each sugar repo to Github.

*Solution 2:*

Abandon Github. Consolidate on our own systems; I guess this means setting
up gogs or gitlab to replace gitorious, and perhaps something else to
replace trac, and then removing each sugar repo from Github that we
control, and regularly encouraging all sugar activities on github to move
to our infrastructure.

*Conflict:*

It seems that myself, Walter and James are in favour of (1), and Devin and
Sam are in favour of (2)

How to decide?

Cheers
Dave