[Sugar-devel] Vision

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 01:52:23 EDT 2016

Hi Dave,

Maybe the web platform is a bad bet.  Maybe Qt is a bad bet.  Maybe
Gtk+ is a bad bet.  What.  A.  Shame.

But Gtk+ is actually fine.  It runs fast enough, it doesn't make users
complain (or at least I haven't heard them), it has a nice api, and
there is active development.  If we need better developer experience,
we can investigate using GtkBuilder/Glade for our guis, or lifting the
Gtk+ version requirement and using the nice GtkStack, GtkRevealer,
GtkFlowBox, GtkListBox, and all the other new apis.

I'm not sure why Qt was not picked initially.  But to tell you the
truth, it seems to me that the innovative stuff (Client Side
Decorations, Wayland, CSS Nodes, etc) is happening in Gtk.

Thanks,
Sam