[Sugar-devel] Vision

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Apr 20 00:23:03 EDT 2016

On 19 April 2016 at 23:14, Justin Overton <justin at polymath.ninja> wrote:

> I did look to see if I could find a way to buy an XO-4, but I ended up
> rooting my chromebook instead. It mostly runs fine on the chromebook, but
> several of the apps don't work. EToys, Speech, and a couple of others.

Cool!

I think Sugar Labs should buy some XO-4 stock and sell them, mainly to
developers :)

I'm curious why etoys won't run; squeak should run everywhere, and it seems
to me to be one of the most important activities.

On the main topic, I do think the web platform may be a bad bet -
http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/11/mark-zuckerberg-our-biggest-mistake-with-mobile-was-betting-too-much-on-html5/
:) - and in this case I think porting Sugar to Qt might be worth
considering.

Should starting the effort to follow Wireshark et al and go Qt be part of
the 2016 vision/mission?

Today the www.qt.io/company seems to be profitable, and PyQt is profitable
GPL software, and survived Nokia's anti-gpl attack.

If we don't have anyone with links to the Qt Company in our networks, we
can easily build up a relationship there! :)

As I delved into Alan Kay, it seems that squeak (which etoys is built on)
has dried up, and now the leading libre non-web smalltalk is http://pharo.
org

That community seems like a good case study in how to set up a free
software project that harnesses finance:

http://pharo.org/community

http://association.pharo.org/web/about

http://consortium.pharo.org/

http://consortium.pharo.org/web/Membership