[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Apr 3 21:20:46 EDT 2016

On 3 April 2016 at 20:36, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Previous attempts at consolidation have had varying success, as can be
> seen from the increase in fragmentation.
>
> The number of mailing lists, Wiki, Social Help, IRC channels,
> Gitorius, GitHub, ... these are all being used lightly, and the
> fragmentation of the community is harmful to survival.

> I'm expecting another effort to consolidate will cause further
> fragmentation.

:D

The reason I recommend for Github and against phabricator or another
self-hosted issue tracker/git host (or even against moving to Fossil SCM
which I think is the best solution I've seen for hosting project
infrastructure autonomously :) is that the sugar desktop code has already
moved there, and what I personally see as the future of sugar - sugarizer -
began there.

> > The move to Github seems to have already started in an uncoordinated
> > way,
> No, it was well coordinated and led, but it was not followed by many
> developers, who had already disengaged.  Some of their activities
> remain popular, and sometimes new developers take them on.

I apologies for casting previous efforts in a negative light, if I did so -
I don't mean to disparage anyone :)

>     I don't think GitHub issues will work very well; because it
> >     isn't easy to move an issue from one repository to another.
> >     With trac, a ticket may be reported against one component, then
> >     diagnosed to be fixed in another component.
> >
> > Would this work for you: open a new issue in the second component
> > with a first comment saying this picks up from the previous issue,
> > then in that first issue add a final comment pointing to the new
> > location in the first issue and close it :)
>
> A messy workflow.  But first, get users who want to raise issues, then
> see how it goes.

I am glad to accept :D

> Sorry, yes, my haste; privacy is a purchased service.

This is veering somewhat off topic, but I am generally concerned with how
to pay labor and maintain capital goods that advance the software freedom
movement.

In the case of project hosting, for me selling privacy seems like a more
reasonable way to fund development compared the (more typical) sale of
proprietary features, as https://about.gitlab.com/features/ does.

> You earlier wrote:
> > I believe that all github users that join a github organization will get
> > emailed every issue, pr, and comment for every github project within that
> > github organization.
>
> By the way, to be notified from trac, subscribe to
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/listinfo/bugs

Done :)

--
Cheers