[Sugar-devel] Speak Activity

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Thu Aug 20 09:59:51 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> Hi, James
>
> The current help shows the 'traditional' Speak. I thought you wanted me to
> document the change with new screenshots, etc. Personally,
> I see no problem with the traditional technique. It makes the language
> selection more accessible and its what users know.

I think is better update the documentation.

You can send me your changes for https://help.sugarlabs.org/speak.html
in text format, and a new screenshot (max width 800px)

Speak use the language configured in Sugar if is available,
then, there are not too much need of use the languages button at least the
user
want change it. Walter already explained other reasons for the change.
Speak activity will use any language available on espeak (see 'espeak
--voices' as pointed by James)

> The 'Arabic' issue is quite other. A language is implemented in Speak by
> supplying a file of phonemes corresponding to the language as it is spoken
> in
> a particular area (e.g. Arabic may be pronounced differently in Egypt and
> Morrocco. The phonemes are coded using linguistics conventions. At one
> point, we tried to get a Nepali langauge by modifying the phonemes of
> Hindu - this turned out to be beyond the capacity of some very intelligent
> interns.
> We could perhaps find if the contributor of Speak has added languages to
> his version which we have not incorporated in Speak - but that would be a
> new
> version and some work. Volunteers are certainly welcome.

I think add any language will be non trivial.
Your best option should be test if ar-espeak works
(there are packages available here
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=ar-espeak&srodzaj=3)
and contact the developer and espeak developers to try to have that changes
included in espeak)

Gonzalo

> Tony
>
> On 08/13/2015 09:47 AM, James Cameron wrote:
>
>> No, not really.
>>
>> The documentation still needs changing for the position of the
>> language selection, using the latest version of Speak, regardless of
>> your problem with Arabic missing.  That's what I thought you were
>> suggesting with:
>>
>> Perhaps the Help description on Speak should be updated.
>>>
>> Underneath Sugar, your problem of Arabic support is that "espeak
>> --voices" command doesn't list Arabic, because it is not supported in
>> eSpeak:
>>
>>         http://espeak.sourceforge.net/languages.html
>>
>> A quick search for espeak arabic yields Al-Mintiq and ar-espeak
>> projects.  Fedora doesn't have these packaged.
>>
>> So it looks like a challenge to add Arabic.  Let us know how you go
>> with that.
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 08:53:16AM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> Wouldn't it be better to make Speak work as described in the
>>> documentation?
>>>
>>> Tony

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software [for | by] children learning