[Sugar-devel] [Feature] Social Help

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Mon Apr 20 13:17:09 EDT 2015

Hi,

For some reason this email found it's way into gmail's spam folder.

However the topic is very important.

I disagree that this implementation needs to be adopted.
In particular, most deployments still don't have a reliable connection
to the Internet and we don't want to introduce a dependency on it.
Social help might (and should) come from peers first.

However, work has been ongoing from different deployments in this
(social) direction so it's generally accepted that Sugar needs it. Our
own work in Perú has been aligned with Alsroot's work on the Sugar
Network ( we developed the first UI, here's a short video explaining it:
http://somosazucar.org/2012/06/04/un-avance-de-la-red-azucar-0-3-sneak-peek-of-sugar-network-0-3/
).

This work is ongoing. It involves a very light local server capable of
synchronizing user resources asynchronously (including comments,
bundles, etc) /in both ways/.

The effort is very much appreciated. I think we need to morph the
proposal into something that is generic or pluggable, and try to work
with Alsroot on this.

Regards,
Sebastian

On 19/04/15 20:59, Sam P. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> One feature I'm proposing for the 0.106 cycle is Social Help.  Social
> Help was previously proposed by Prasoon Shukla as a GSOC project,
> however my proposal is slightly different.
>
> Patch Link:  https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/pull/483/commits
> Feature Page:  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Social_Help
> YouTube Video Summary:  https://youtu.be/_WzwVZ60Tbw
>
> I would like to invite discussion on the feature so we can land this
> for 0.106.
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

I+D SomosAzucar.Org
"icarito" #somosazucar en Freenode IRC
"Nadie libera a nadie, nadie se libera solo. Los seres humanos se liberan en comunión" - P. Freire