[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] The touchscreen gesture to bring up the Frame...

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Thu Apr 9 13:39:52 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
wrote:

> ...is:
>
> 1.- Undiscoverable:
>
>     (If you're wondering; you have to pass your finger thru the
> rightmost border of the screen from top to bottom).

Not correct. The gesture to show/hide the frame is do a short swipe from
top border in bottom direction. Not only in the rightmost border,
all the top border works.

> 2.- Only practical to do on XO (because the screen has a bevel). Most
> laptops with touchscreen in the market don't have this bevel.

I don't understand why that could not work without a bevel. Could you
explain?

> 3.- It's very easy to hit the Stop button (in an activity) when trying
> to invoke the frame from the touchscreen.
>
> 4.- Other ways to invoke the frame are equally funny: Alt-Shift-F, F5
> (or is it F6? I never remember)

Alt-Shift-F and F6 works. In the new XO > 1-5,  F6 have the frame icon,
then have a lot of sense.
In XO-1 and xo-1.5, the frame key is at the top right in the keyboard.

> For all of these reasons, I think there has to be a better way.
>
> One or more of the following come to mind:
>
> a) We could add another hotkey. I've thought a lot about the CAPS LOCK
> key, for instance.
> b) Add a keybinding configuration option to My Settings, so that this is
> configurable.
> c) Add another frame invocation touch gesture.
> d) Admit we don't care about other hardware than XO (I do!)

a) Add another hotkey do not solve the issue, and caps locks does not look
logic or related.
b) Probably would be good make some of the keybindings configurable,
but then we would need lead with the fact than maintain documentation
or how show to the users what are the keybindings/gestures in use.
c) The problem with add other gestures is that the finger can interact
with other objects while doing the gesture. As a example, if you have the
Paint activity,
can draw in the canvas. Other collisions can be with scrolling areas
or the zoom gestures like in ImageViewer. Gtk implemented gestures
after we implemented them in Sugar, then the situation could be better with
newer Gk versions, but, that imply:

* Port the gestures support from the sugar toolkit side to the new Gtk
methods.
* Require a newer Gtk, than could be a problem by example in F18.

I think something we can do would be improve our documentation, by example
the Help activity,
to show the things that are not easily discoverable. By example, we have a
keyboard
section, but is very outdated and don't show any special shortcut.

https://github.com/godiard/help-activity/blob/master/source/keyboard.rst

A reference to how take a screenshot is in the page of Paint activity
just as a comment
https://github.com/godiard/help-activity/blob/master/source/paint.rst#extending
we could add a section to show these shortcuts.

Design team, (at the time Manuel Quiñones and Gary Martin) discussed,
prototyped and tested a lot about the gestures when we worked in the XO-4.
I don't say that this couldn't be improved, but is not a trivial topic.

We really need have a active Design Team again... any idea is welcomed

Gonzalo