[Sugar-devel] Time spent on activity (was Best time format for logging?)

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Fri Mar 28 08:55:28 EDT 2014

> As long as we don't expect to have a 1-to-1 relation between the new "spent
> times per session" and launch times I think it will be fine.
>
> We have to make sure everyone understand this will not be 100% reliable.  We
> might loose some of these spent times when the laptop or activity crashes,
> activities could be left opened for hours etc, but, I don't think we should
> be worried in the practice. As Walter said, is still better than nothing.

Yes, we should make this very clear.

> I see benefit in both approaches, and I guess they are not mutually
> exclusive:
>
> One Big Sum:  it could be interesting to use this information to sort
> entries in the journal ie., "sort entries by spent time", so it would be
> good to have that info already processed, it could have some value.
>
> Series: the benefit of having this split as series instead of just one big
> sum, is that it could give extra information about the time its being spent
> on each "session" individually.

Yeah. And from a statistics POV, is a matter of what do you want to
know from the data.  If the level of detail matters or not.  Same
thing as with the seconds vs microseconds discussion.

> Regarding harvest, we can carefully drop that placeholder, and add a new
> table for storing these times, if needed.

Yes, I became familiar with the migrate tool already in my "log
sessions" branch.

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for chiming in late. I was indespoised yesterday.
>>
>> I think there is no harm in gathering the data as a series. If we have
>> missing elements due to crashes, etc., it is still better than
>> nothing. Originally, I was thinking of adding something in the same
>> place where we trigger write_file so that we accumulated data each
>> time the activity was in the background or closed (a bit more robust)
>> but honestly, I don't think it really matters so much).
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org>
>> wrote:

>> > While is true you don't have how much time was spent in every session,
>> > the sequence is good data anyway.

>> > Ok, would be good have tch involved then.

>> > No idea about that
>>
>> This has always bothered me, but I am not sure how we address it
>> without breaking lots of code.
>>

>> > Gonzalo
>>
>> -walter
>>
>> --