[Sugar-devel] Time spent on activity (was Best time format for logging?)

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Fri Mar 28 08:49:10 EDT 2014

> Sorry for chiming in late. I was indespoised yesterday.
>
> I think there is no harm in gathering the data as a series. If we have
> missing elements due to crashes, etc., it is still better than
> nothing. Originally, I was thinking of adding something in the same
> place where we trigger write_file so that we accumulated data each
> time the activity was in the background or closed (a bit more robust)
> but honestly, I don't think it really matters so much).

I was thinking about that too: another option is to connect to the
window 'active' property [1] to count only the time the user is
actually using the activity. And not count when she/he goes for a
moment to the Network view or to the Journal, for example.

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWindow.html#GtkWindow--is-active

>>> Good point, is the other option I was handling.  Is a trivial patch too:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/manuq/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/8/files
>>>
>>> I think this one is definetely better.
>>>
>>> I was in doubt for two reasons: 1. because unlike launch_time, this
>>> spent-times metadata will not be saved if the activity does not end
>>> properly: could be a crash, a programming error, end of battery, etc.
>>> So the item N of spent-times will not necessarily correspont to item N
>>> of launch-times.
>>>

>> While is true you don't have how much time was spent in every session,
>> the sequence is good data anyway.
>>

>>> And secondly, because the simpler option satisfies the placeholder
>>> that is currently in Harvest
>>>
>>> https://github.com/tchx84/harvest-server/blob/master/sql/001-harvest.sql#L24
>>>
>>> The second one will require a new table in Harvest.  But that's an
>>> easy change too.
>>

>> Ok, would be good have tch involved then.
>>

>>> Side note: I see we have a horrible mix of styles in metadata, some
>>> names use underscore (title_set_by_user, activity_id) and some use
>>> minus character (share-scope, icon-color, launch-times).  Does anyone
>>> know the preferred style?
>>>

>> No idea about that
>
> This has always bothered me, but I am not sure how we address it
> without breaking lots of code.

Yeah, but I think we should decide what to do or recommend from now on
for the toolkit keywords.  Activities are able to do whatever they
want, of course.

>> Gonzalo
>
> -walter
>
> --