[Sugar-devel] [Design]

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 07:59:58 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 4:18 AM, kunal arora <kunalarora.135 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Note there are already patches implementing this
>>

>> http://www.google-melange.com/gci/task/view/google/gci2013/5402267310096384
>>
>> We need agree in the design part, do we really want show all that
>> directories to the user?
>> Can be configured for specific cases?
>>

> I also think that although this is an essential functionality, displaying
> all the folders may not be the best way to go from the design perspective.
> Some of the options that can be considered are:
> 1) We could choose from the settings, which folders to display. It would
> provide an option of customizability.
> 2) We could just display one Browse option which would display all the
> folders and files of the computer the person could choose from them (I don't
> know how it would be implemented right now though).
>
> Maybe the design team could weigh in and provide a better alternative.
>
> I also have a few other ideas and questions regarding this which i will
> discuss with you on IRC when you come back.
> My nickname on IRC: curiousguy13
>
> Regards,
> Kunal

As the instigator of both mounting of Documents in the Journal and the
current ticket, let me chime in with some clarification of my
intention.

(1) We added Documents to enable a simple portal between GNOME and
Sugar. While it is true that there are other useful directories in
GNOME, I think Documents is enough for our purposes.

(2) The activity directories would be made available while the
activity is open. Perhaps we designate
activity.get_bundle_path()/Journal as a location to mount if that path
exists?

regards.

-walter

--