[Sugar-devel] sugar-build on archlinux without broot

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 19:46:43 EDT 2014

On 10 March 2014 00:07, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

>>  Then issues ocurred with gwebsockets. It persistently tried to use
>> python3.3, my system's default, instead of python2.7. Finally I found the
>> culprit, in
>> ./out/sandbox/install/lib/python2.7/site-packages/osbuild/build.py I
>> replaced in line 190 one instance of "python" for "python2.7" and it worked
>> after that.
>>
>> Finally when building sugar-base I had to set up the environment variable
>> PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2.7 in order for it to build.
>> Also, when building sugar, I had to manually create the directory
>> "./out/install/etc/gconf/" or it would fail to install
>>

> Maybe you can solve this issues just creating symlinks like in fedora:
>
> [gonzalo at localhost develop-activity]$ ls -l /bin/python
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 7 Jan  9  2013 /bin/python -> python2
>
> [gonzalo at localhost develop-activity]$ ls -l /bin/python2
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 9 Jan  9  2013 /bin/python2 -> python2.7
>
> Gonzalo

I think archlinux has those symlinks already, but it also has "python"
which is reallly python 3.
Now honestly I think that's a very bad decision archlinux made (and the
reason I'm not using it anymore, fwiw, it's a real pain if you are
compiling stuff a lot).
But it is compatible with best practices suggested by the python
documentation. So I think we should follow those practices in sugar-base
(i.e. explicitly require python2), which will take care of this issue. We
are already doing that in the gtk3 modules.