[Sugar-devel] Sugar Performance testing

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 13:46:56 EDT 2014

On 9 March 2014 17:53, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:

>  Hi dear Sugar developers.
> We have participated in the deployment in Peru of Sugar 0.94 (classic) for
> XO1 and XO1.5. It will be ongoing in 2014 and hopefully we will tighten the
> feedback circle and work closer with upstream (master).
> Now we as a team are working in Colombia with XO1.75 and again, the issue
> of performance creeps in, and they are interested in downgrading to Sugar
> 0.94 (classic).
> "that way madness lies", if we stay without updating, we break cohesion.
> It would be best if we could all just work on the same basis.
>
> For us to base our work on 0.101+ (new) Sugar, we have to make sure we
> have solved the performance issues plaguing (new) Sugar and/or OLPC/OS 13.x.

Which OLPC version are you comparing with? In the rest of the answer I'll
call that X.x :)

> For this I need your advice.
>
> *How do I setup an identical environment for (classic) 0.94 Sugar and
> (new) 0.101+ Sugar? Can I use sugar-build for this, or something else...?*

On which hardware and on which distribution?

Anyway it's probably not going to be trivial. So let me suggest an easier
first step. You could test 0.94 activities on the top of OLPC 13.x. If they
perform the same as OLPC X.x then we know the issue is the gtk3 toolkit (no
change was made to the gtk2 toolkit). If they are bad as stock 13.x
activities, then we will know it's something in the system. If it's
something in the middle we will have to come up with a more complicated
strategy. But I think the data we get from this initial testing will be
useful to figure out that strategy.

> *How do I profile the session (CPU usage, memory consumption, timing)? *

For memory I would try this

https://github.com/pixelb/ps_mem

For CPU top should be fine, but it depends what exactly you want to test.
For timing I usually just print out time.time intervals from the code :)

> * Do we have some automated GUI testing? Can I make some?*

See sugar-build/build/tests/shell.py, you could use something like that to
measure startup time I suppose. Anyway you can use the same kind of code to
click around in activities UI etc.