[Sugar-devel] Sugar Performance testing

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sun Mar 9 12:53:16 EDT 2014

Hi dear Sugar developers.
We have participated in the deployment in Peru of Sugar 0.94 (classic)
for XO1 and XO1.5. It will be ongoing in 2014 and hopefully we will
tighten the feedback circle and work closer with upstream (master).
Now we as a team are working in Colombia with XO1.75 and again, the
issue of performance creeps in, and they are interested in downgrading
to Sugar 0.94 (classic).
"that way madness lies", if we stay without updating, we break cohesion.
It would be best if we could all just work on the same basis.

For us to base our work on 0.101+ (new) Sugar, we have to make sure we
have solved the performance issues plaguing (new) Sugar and/or OLPC/OS 13.x.

For this I need your advice.

*How do I setup an identical environment for (classic) 0.94 Sugar and
(new) 0.101+ Sugar? Can I use sugar-build for this, or something else...?**
**
**How do I profile the session (CPU usage, memory consumption, timing)?

Do we have some automated GUI testing? Can I make some?

*These questions should help bring me to a point where I can measure and
try changes specific to Sugar.

I appreciate any advice you can give me on this topic.

Next I'd like to try to determine if it's related to the base distribution.

Regards,
Sebastian