[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2014 - Porting the Sugar core onto Python 3.x info

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn alanjas at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 8 16:45:40 EST 2014

Python 2.6? Who uses it??In my opinion: the older version that we must support must be Python 2.7
Regards!
Alan
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 01:40:45 +0530
From: upman16 at gmail.com
To: sugar-devel at lists.sugarlabs.org
Subject: [Sugar-devel] GSoC 2014 - Porting the Sugar core onto Python 3.x	info

Hello everyone,
I'm Ravi Kumar, an undergrad Computer
 Science and Engineering student based in Bangalore. I'm familiar with
Source code management with git and proficient with Python, Ruby and C, although I haven't made
any real contributions to open-source projects. So this is all the more
exciting to me. I see GSoC as a very good opportunity to learn and also
be a part of and give something back to a community.

I went through the Ideas page and was interested in porting the sugar core onto Python 3.x and I had a bunch of questions.

1. Are there any constraints the community places on the strategy that is to be

    adopted to port the code or  are the strategies up to the person submitting the
    proposal?
2. How reliable and thorough are the unit tests that are in place?

Here's what I've thought through so far.

Maintaining a code base in python 2 or in python 3 and then using 2to3 or 3to2 to give out releases is going to be problematic. Say someone files a bug against the Python 3.x version and the code for it was generated using 2to3, there wouldn't be a very good way to fix this.

So my initial strategy is to strengthen the unit tests, make them compatible across 2.6-3.3, automate testing with python 2.6 and 3.3 simultaneously with Tox or a similar tool, and then incrementally write polyglot using the six package and other methods to pass more and more unit tests until the whole of the codebase supports Python 2.6 through to 3.3. Then, improve and update the documentation so that the codebase is easy to maintain in the future.

Thanks,
Ravi Kumar