[Sugar-devel] Open Street Map

Christian Stroetmann stroetmann at ontolab.com
Mon Mar 3 03:59:12 EST 2014

Hi Gonzalo

This paragraph is a little off-topic:
I do not think so that ideas are overvalued. Quite contrary, ideas are
an essential part of arts and economics and hence of culture. Without
ideas and their presentations there is no start to discuss and to
implement something at all. Seen from this point of view, the general
problem is not how to program, but what to program.

This paragraph is a little on-topic:
Also, the Feature process gives a mandatory protocol, so that in the end
an idea can be realized/implemented in an ordered way. Despite our
different point of views about the value of ideas, I think this specific
protocol is a good way to start things by presenting an idea in the
first step. After the community decided that an idea is valuable, we can
talk about the requirement specification and later about its implementation.

In this respect, I say that ideas talk first, codes talk later. ;)

This paragraph is on-topic:
Because I already expected that there is an activity that is able to
handle OSM data (see also the information given by Gary Martin), I am
also thinking about a feature that is basically an extension of the
Neighborhood view or even a fifth view called for example (Sugar) Earth,
(Sugar) World, (Sugar) Cosmos or (Sugar) Paracosm (see [2]; my favorite
in conjunction with (creativity and ideas of) children) on top of the
Neighborhood view. This feature has also to be seen in conjunction with
the other proposed feature of a ZUI metaphor for Sugar (see the related
thread started on the 1st of March 2014). Both the fifth view and the
ZUI fit together perfectly, because often digital globes and digital
world maps are based on the ZUI metaphor (see [1]).

As it can be seen, this is a larger feature that on the one hand has to
be discussed by the developers and on the other hand IMO can't be
implemented as a simple prototype. Said this, I would like to create a
Feature proposal at first that only describes the idea/concept of the
fifth view.

Christian

[1] Wikipedia, ZUI; ZUI projects
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zooming_user_interface
[2] Wikipedia, Paracosm en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracosm