[Sugar-devel] Collaboration support for sugar web activities

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 09:31:30 EST 2014

On 11 January 2014 15:21, Emil Dudev <emildudev at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the approach you took is less work then making a separate framework,
>> doing presence only with telepathy might be a good first step. But I'd
>> rather go in the direction of both python and js activities doing
>> collaboration through a WebSocket server then trying to use telepathy to
>> bridge between websocket servers. If nothing else because of the mess of
>> protocols, (with associated complexity) that the second approach would make
>> (jabber | avahi + dbus + websockets).
>>
>  I decided to go with telepathy, only because normal sugar activities use
> it. I thought it would be best this way.
> But as you mentioned, telepathy seems to be unreliable...

Just for the record, your approach would of course be the most sensible if
our current framework worked.

> Can a similar web server be set up like jabber.sugarlabs.org is?

Do you mean if it's possible to setup another instance of the jabber server
to be used with telepathy? I think it is possible, but my understanding is
that no one ever managed to setup a reliable server (probably because of
the way our telepathy stack works, I'm not sure).