[Sugar-devel] Performance: activities start up time

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 18:10:46 EST 2013

On 11 November 2013 00:02, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> Local imports are a really bad idea for code maintenance.
>>

> I know, and we have discouraged that in the past.
>
> That is the reason I said "I think this work of identify big libraries
> used only in specific moments,
> can be applied in other cases."
>
> In the case of gstreamer, used to do text to speech, almost the same code
> is copied
> in a few activities (Speak, Clock, Memorize, Write, at least)
> The code check if the espeak plugin in gstreamer is available, and if not
> try use espeak
> in the command line. Then need initialize gstreamer, and look for the
> plugin.
> That take a few seconds, and is not needed do it before the activity
> starts.

I'm not sure to understand this, I should probably see the code.

But all that I'm saying is that gi.repository imports are supposed to have
virtually no performance impact, as we have also verified stracing. Big or
small library doesn't matter.

If they do have a performance impact we need to understand why, before
trying to work around the problem by moving imports around.