[Sugar-devel] Performance: activities start up time

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Sun Nov 10 18:02:55 EST 2013

> Local imports are a really bad idea for code maintenance.

I know, and we have discouraged that in the past.

That is the reason I said "I think this work of identify big libraries used
only in specific moments,
can be applied in other cases."

In the case of gstreamer, used to do text to speech, almost the same code
is copied
in a few activities (Speak, Clock, Memorize, Write, at least)
The code check if the espeak plugin in gstreamer is available, and if not
try use espeak
in the command line. Then need initialize gstreamer, and look for the
plugin.
That take a few seconds, and is not needed do it before the activity
starts.

Then is not a case of import anything in any place, we need look at this
carefully,
and see when have sense. I would love to find more ways to improve the
performace
of Sugar and activities.

Gonzalo