[Sugar-devel] How to deploy the webactivity libraries

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed May 29 11:30:23 EDT 2013

On 29 May 2013 16:46, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> In other words, I imagine that for activities that meet a certain
> level of complexity/functionality, there will commonly be some point
> at which they cross the line and start depending something specific in
> the underlying system, which breaks any dreams of self contained
> activities. If I'm right, maybe we should consider dropping that as a
> realistic possibility for a reliable experience.

I don't think because an activity won't work on all platforms and all
versions we should give up on making it work on as many as possible. The
Javascript ecosystem has always showed adaptability to all kind of web
platform incompatibilities, often at a much lower level than a webcam API.
There are several ways to deal with the incompatibilities, bundling
libraries being one of the tools available.

IMO making activities more cross platform that they are currently is one of
the main reason to go for an HTML toolkit. I think it should be a goal for
every activity to work in a plain web browser, even if with reduced
functionality.