[Sugar-devel] Github issue tracking

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue May 14 15:45:13 EDT 2013

I agree with the need of cleanup the bug database. I have proposed that
several times,
and closed many bugs. One of the best arguments I read about this topic,
is the "bug bankrupcy" description:

"*The bug database* is obviously a great thing to have. Bug reports should
be complete, accurate, and actionable. But I have noticed that in many
real-world companies, the desire never to miss any bug report leads to bug
bankrupcy, where you wake up one day and discover that there are 3000 open
bugs in the database, some of which are so old they may not apply any more,
some of which can never be reproduced, and most of which are not even worth
fixing because they’re so tiny. When you look closely you realize that
months or years of work has gone into preparing those bug reports, and you
ask yourself, how could we have 3000 bugs in the database while our product
is delightful and customers love it and use it every day?" [1]

I have prepared two reports to try to understand better our actual
situation:

Bugs by components [2]
This report show activities are usually in a good shape (that was not
always true)
Of course, sugar* + journal are much more complex.
If we do some triage, should be good concentrate on these components

Bugs by sugar version [3]
Nobody is working in fix bugs of sugar older than 0.98.
We should check if the older bugs are still present or close them.

Gonzalo

[1] http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2012/07/09.html
[2] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/report/14
[3] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/report/13