[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] multiple home views

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu May 2 10:15:46 EDT 2013

As per the enclosed discussion on IRC, I'd like to get some feedback on the
multiple homeview feature request.

manuq: I am really happy this feature has landed. I think it is really great
manuq    yes!!
manuq    I think we should do screencasts to showcase the great stuff
that's been added
walterbender    manuq: now that background has landed, I'll work on
multi-homeview. Also an important feature
manuq    walterbender: is there a feature page for multi homes?
manuq    walterbender: I'm less confident on multi homes.. I would like to
know user cases, feedback from deploys, and a discussion about the workflow
manuq    I fear it can complicate sugar too much
walterbender    manuq: there is a very important use case: teachers want
control over the desktop in the classroom
walterbender    manuq: so the simple solution is one desktop for school and
one for the user
walterbender    manuq: this was asked for in Peru and Australia
walterbender    manuq: in Peru, because teachers found the varied desktops
confusing, they wouldn't let kids add apps
walterbender    in Audtralia, they'd like to set the desktop per lesson
manuq    ouch
walterbender    manuq: so I think this is actually quite important
manuq    one desktop per lesson? uff
walterbender    manuq: I spoke with gonzalo_odiard_ about adding a feature
to his share activity to let the teacher set the desktop
walterbender    manuq: but all of these things would suggest we want the
kids to have an independent desktop
walterbender    hence the feature
manuq    that can be resolved with an activity.. a launcher activity with a
collection of activity icons maybe?
gonzalo_odiard_    walterbender, anyway, the multiple desktop feature
deserve more discussion on the ml
walterbender    manuq: and yes, there is a feature page kicking around for
this [1]
manuq    gonzalo_odiard_: +1
manuq    walterbender: great
walterbender    manuq, gonzalo_odiard_ the feature was proposed a long time
ago and implemented 6 months ago.
gonzalo_odiard_    walterbender, i know
manuq    walterbender: let's open a thread so everyone can speak
walterbender    manuq, gonzalo_odiard_ how do you suggest we get the
discussion going?
walterbender    seems there has been ample opportunity
walterbender    many emails sent
walterbender    but I am happy to open the door yet again
manuq    walterbender: sorry I don't remember the discussions
gonzalo_odiard_    walterbender, i looked at the implementation and was not
very good neither
manuq    walterbender: so maybe add a new thread with links to the old
discussions
walterbender    gonzalo_odiard_: that is a different issue
walterbender    manuq: I'll post this discussion, with links to the list
and we can continue the discussion [2]
gonzalo_odiard_    walterbender, but is important too
manuq    great
walterbender    gonzalo_odiard_: undoubtedly it is important.
manuq    at first glance, I think a launcher activity with collections of
activities can be a better solution
manuq    so you can have a "math" collection for example
gonzalo_odiard_    manuq, walterbender, right now we have a configuration
for the activities a deployment don't want be deleted by the kids. we can
extend that to have other collections configured. then we can have
activities asociated to math, arts, science....
gonzalo_odiard_    and we can use that info to populate different desktops
gonzalo_odiard_    (maybe showing different background images?)
walterbender    now were really are making things complicated
walterbender    I think this direction makes too many assumptions about how
things work in the classroom
walterbender    let's keep it simple
manuq    an activity that doesn't mess the spiral, for example?
walterbender    gonzalo_odiard_: I really think you are over-engineering a
simple request

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Multiple_home_views
[2] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2011-May/031266.html

-walter