[Sugar-devel] [OLPC-AU] another Favorites View proposal

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed May 18 11:22:47 EDT 2011

I don't want to coop the current thread about search, but I have one
concrete proposal (for which I volunteer to write a patch if we have
consensus) and one long-standing feature request that we should dust off.

(1) I propose that whenever you go to the Home View, you end up in the
standard view. The only way to get to the list view would be by selecting it
from the standard view. I'd even go so far as to suggest that if you
navigate away, you would return to the standard view.

This simple change would take some pressure off the need to distinguish the
list view from the Journal and make it really just for organizing favorites
and nothing else, which keeps it simple. (Even an experience Sugar user such
as myself gets confused sometimes when I end up in the list view... I
repeatedly hit the home view button and type F3 to no effect and think there
must be something broken.)

(2) Multiple groups beyond just the binary favorites/not favorites
selection. Lots of teacher (and kid) feedback about wanting multiple home
view collections. This is more invasive, but if we really think about list
view more narrowly, then adding this would be seemingly doable from the UI
perspective. (One home view could be *all*, meaning we could even eliminate
the need to launch activities from the list view).

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs