[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Proposal on how to speed up patch reviews

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Tue Mar 26 16:12:24 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Anish Mangal <anish at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> I don't have a dog in the fight, but I can give my two cents
> (disclaimer: I'm sorry if I misunderstood facts or misquoted people):

> What could this mean in context of sugar/mainline:
> * Have one or two maintainers. Simon and Manuq are excellent. They are
> responsible for setting roadmaps, deadlines, and making releases.
> * Have multiple people with commit access authority. Daniel and
> Gonzalo perhaps? I don't know who else.
> * The criteria for committing could be as simple as:
> ** The patch has been reviewed by atleast one person from this group
> ** The patch has been *tested* by atleast one person from this group
>
> Normally, one wouldn't recommend this as it increases the chance of
> breakage, but I guess we're at the other end of the spectrum. If
> development pace needs to be ramped up, I'd recommend the above.
>
> Cheers,
> Anish

But this proposal does not add more people to the dance :)

Anybody can test, and should be encouraged,
and may be not all, but there are more people who can review.
Quozl, Walter, dsd, did reviews. I did reviews, but of course does not have
sense
spend time on the reviews if are not useful to the maintainers.
That is the reason I think we need a plan,
and clarify what is useful and what should be accepted.

Gonzalo