[Sugar-devel] [FEATURES][DESIGN] Network proxy configuration

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Thu Mar 14 12:36:30 EDT 2013

Daniel,
Your concerns are valid.

All I can say that probably using an "automated" "transparent" proxy
client-server setup is the answer, for getting the requirements met without
bothering the kids.

*
The "automatic" mode can be set in the XO-images, via simple "OOB" scripts.

*
The "automatic" mode puts the responsibility on the network-administrator's
shoulders, instead of the kids.

*
Having the proxy "transparent", means that kids do not need to enter the
credentials again and again while navigating a whitelisted network URL.

So, even in current scenario, I think the above particular setup can be
easily done, thus relieving the kids altogether from doing any
configurations.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Anish Mangal <anish at activitycentral.org>
> wrote:
> > I'd like to propose "Network proxy configuration in Sugar"
> >
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Proxy_configuration
>
> I would say that this feature does not fit particularly nicely with
> some items of our guidelines:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Policy#Things_you_should_consider_when_proposing_a_feature
>
> In other words, I can't imagine every 6-12 year old student in a
> school going into the control panel and typing (without error) a load
> of proxy details. In my experience things like this are incredibly
> challenging especially because the users cannot relate to the task at
> hand (unless you want to teach them about computer networks first).
>
> A more sensible model would be that this is somehow automated by the
> deployer or by the school infrastructure, such that the user is not
> distracted and does not have to care.
>

> I'm aware that such generalizations can't be applied to all cases and
> that this feature is probably driven by some users where this indeed
> can't be applied. So I'm not in opposition to this feature (even
> though it would be nice to have the more automated approach designed
> as well), but I think we need to consider the implications on our more
> "regular" target userbase.
>
> For example, what happens if a user who is on a proxy-free network
> types "hello" into the proxy configuration textbox? Does that break
> all networking?
>
> One problem that I have seen in various places, children untick the
> "Radio enable" checkbox in Sugar's control panel and then return their
> laptop for repair because they can't get online. I fear that proxy
> configuration could become support headache like this.
>
> Daniel

Ajay Garg
Dextrose Developer
Activity Central: http://activitycentral.com