[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] XSCE 0.2.1 - Phoebe

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Mon Mar 11 21:33:18 EDT 2013

Hi,

It gives me pleasure to announce the 0.2.1 release
(Phoebe-http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiayiti/8477848448 ;-) ) of the
School Server Community Edition project. Since the 0.1 release nearly a
month ago, a significant amount of core XS functionality has been included.

With this release, we have a largely functional schoolserver, with all
the core services up and running. We have tested this on the XO-1.75 and
the generic x86 "big iron", and look forward to contributors  (hackers,
testers, folks wanting to run pilots).

=Download & Install=
Detailed instructions can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.2/Installing

Here are some steps to try it out on an XO-1.75 laptop (Installation
requires a working internet connection):

su -
cd /etc/yum.repos.d
wget http://build.activitycentral.com/xsce-stable.repo
yum -y install xs-config-xo
bootstrap-xo

<REBOOT>

su -
xs-setup

<REBOOT>

=Contribute=
The code for this server resides at
http://sugardextrose.org/projects/xs-config/repository . People
interested in hacking should clone the  repo and feel free to send
patches to server-devel.

There are weekly skype meetings on Thursdays 8pm EST for people who can
join in those.

==Test==
We encourage users to break the server, find weird use cases and create
issues here:

http://sugardextrose.org/projects/xs-config/issues

Here are some basic testing notes to get started with

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.2/Test_Plan

==Known issues/quirks==
* SELinux and XSCE don't mix well so far. If SELinux isn't disabled
already, please do so before/after install.
* The machine needs to be rebooted after installing the server for
everything to work smoothly.
* On xo the hostname is automatically changed to schoolserver.local.  On
non-xo it is whatever the user set it to, so if you want
schoolserver.local you must edit /etc/sysconfig/network and issue the
hostname command.

==Looking forward - 0.3==
* Targeted release date - 5/12
* Server GUI (Administrator, Teacher)