[Sugar-devel] [ASLO] Release Oopsy-1

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jan 21 15:49:59 EST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 09:11:08PM +1100, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 05:17:02PM +1100, forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
> > > Is there any way for them to install gcc?
> >
> > I've had a quick look at gcc 4.7.2 sources and they appear to support
> > the usual --prefix method of configuring, so that they might be
> > installed in the directories of a non-root user.
>
> Thanks James, good news if I understand. gcc would be recompiled?
> Still installed with yum? Can simple instructions be written that
> beginners could follow?

Yes, gcc would be compiled by the person making a Sugar activity.

Yes, yum would be needed by the person making a Sugar activity, but
not the person installing the activity.

Yes, instructions can always be simplified so that beginners could
follow, but the investment in such work might not be warranted.  For
an activity developer, the instructions can be scripted in the
setup.py file.

An activity that requires root should be clearly marked so that people
without root won't waste their time downloading it.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/