[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Etoys in RC4 SoaS-v7 does not start when jabber is connected. ( f17 release is imminent )

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jun 7 07:32:08 EDT 2012

On 07.06.2012, at 12:54, Manuel Kaufmann wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> Both Etoys 4 and Etoys 5 work fine with the presence service in Sugar 0.94 (tested on XO-1.5, 11.3.1 build 885).
>
> I'm not sure to understand this comment. Are you saying that Etoys 5
> works fine but it can not be shared or "works fine" means that you can
> run it and play with Etoys but alone?

I'm saying that sharing works. Both in Etoys 4 and Etoys 5. But only if the presence service works.

If the presence service does not work, sharing does not work in Etoys.

With regard to sharing, the only difference between Etoys 4 and Etoys 5 is that Etoys 5 will still work if the presence service fails, whereas Etoys 4 showed an error on startup.

>> I am re-implementing the presence service in Etoys, but this is going to take a while longer. If you want sharing to work with Etoys right now, the easiest would be to fix the presence service (which is a Python task, so may be easier for you).
>
> Maybe I can help with this but I have no idea about "presence
> service", I should study about it. Is there a ticket with this issue
> with a bit of history that I can read to catch up?

Hmm, the history goes back a couple of years. There probably is a ticket, and a mailing list discussion. Here is the removal feature page:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Remove_Presence_Service

This ticket describes the current problem:

	http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/3498

The presence service crashes when it is trying to use gabble (that is, a jabber server). It appears to work fine with salut (that is, in the local network without a server).

- Bert -