[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Etoys translations

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jun 5 11:58:19 EDT 2012

On 05.06.2012, at 16:39, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> On 06/01/2012 05:24 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Other activities have only a single mo file. Other activities use the gettext library so they do not have to worry about where the files are.
>>>
>>> Etoys has multiple mo files. Etoys does not use gettext, so it needs to know where to find the translation files.
>>
>> I would add that other activities only have translated LC_MESSAGES. Etoys also has translated QuickGuides, see its current locale directory.
>>
>>> It's precisely about those differences I'm asking you for clarification. See my previous message.
>>>
>>> Until now, Etoys just did its own thing, and that worked fine. But there must be a good reason why you want the mo files in the system default directory. (What is that reason, btw?) So I'm trying to find a way to make it happen. If I know what the constraints are, we surely can find a way to make it fit.
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>

>> So, what are the constraints?
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> Hi Bert,
>
> so looks like the main issue about translations is installing the .mo files on a non standard place in a non standard way.
>
> A few questions around the topic:
>
> - can the mo files be in one file?

Due to the high number of translatable phrases, translators prefer separate PO files. Squeak + Etoys has more strings than the rest of Sugar combined.

We could merge all MO files in the build process (and this would have some other advantages, so I like it), but it would be another "specialty" of Etoys where PO names to not match the MO.

> - if not, can they be renamed with a prefix like you suggested?

I see no technical reason why that should not work. It will require code changes, but they should be minor. And it will require coordination with Pootle - I could easily change the file names in SVN, but Pootle may get confused.

> - as far as I understood you don't use gettext, I presume that is out of question, right?

Someone would need to write a Squeak VM plugin wrapping gettext. Not out of the question, but unlikely.

However, any of the above only concerns MO files. As I asked previously:

In addition to the gettext files, Etoys also has translated QuickGuides (and may later have translated example projects etc). See its current locale directory, e.g.

	http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/locale/de/

Since these files are quite large, it would totally make sense to e.g. include them in language packs. But should they be in /usr/share/locale? If not, then why can't the rest of the Etoys locale files stay in /usr/share/etoys/locale?

> I am sure we can sort this out in one way or another to make Peter's life easier.

I certainly hope so!

> Thanks,
>   Simon
>
> PS: I am sending you good energy to finally do the move handle presence inside Etoys, so we can kill the PS. I know you are on your own in Etoys land atm...but you are skilled :)

Oh I feel the wave of energy coming ... :)

- Bert -