[Sugar-devel] Object Chooser

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Tue Jun 5 03:21:56 EDT 2012

Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> writes:

> On 04.06.2012, at 14:13, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> So you're saying that in the response, the second argument would more
>> properly be named object_id_or_full_path. And to distinguish the two
>> cases, we have to look at its first character: if it is '/' then it's
>> a path, otherwise an object id.

Yes, exactly.

> I now extended that documentation page with the object_id_or_full_path
> argument discussion.

Thanks! Just one minor point (re. "this is a utf8-encoded absolute path
to a file"): Unix paths are sequences of octets (binary strings), not
character strings. In most cases the path will be the representation of
a character string in some encoding (and Sugar only works with the UTF-8
encoding). But it's never the other way around (the path itself getting
UTF-8 encoded). However, you do have a point in that paths that are not
a valid UTF-8 representation of some character string will cause the
Object Chooser to break.

>> Are there any other places in the API where instead of an object id we have to expect a full path instead?

I would expect only the Journal D-Bus API to work this way. So
org.laptop.Journal.ShowObject() should be the only other place where
object_id or a full path is used (resp. supported).

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/