[Sugar-devel] Can we be a little more friendly to Ubuntu users

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Sun Feb 26 21:08:42 EST 2012

On Sun, February 26, 2012 8:49 pm, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> My main reference is
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu , I assume
> its accuracy. Please correct me when needed.
>
> The BIG picture I got:
> Install Sugar 0.90 is easy, but it is obsolete.
> Sugar is 0.94 is recommended, but, how to install it?

The big picture answer, apart from instructions for non-standard
installations from non-standard repositories, is to work with the
Debian and Ubuntu packagers to streamline the packaging of new Sugar
releases in order to get them into the upgrade stream in a timely
manner. If somebody involved in the process can explain exactly what
is needed, I expect that we can recruit some more helpers. (Similarly
for RPM packaging for Red Hat and other distributions that use that
format.)

My understanding is that the process can be automated in whole or in
part if the dependencies don't change radically between versions.
Someone like Jonas Smedegaard who is involved in the process can
correct me if I have misunderstood, and can greatly amplify what I am
telling you.