[Sugar-devel] Question about 4G shared w/ XOs via normal laptop

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri May 6 18:15:26 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 05:16:20PM -0300, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> Essentially, he's trying to share a 4G USB modem internet connection
> on a regular (non XO) laptop through the laptop's wireless interface
> in ad-hoc mode to one or more XO laptops.
>
> He's having some issues with ad-hoc mode networking on the XOs and was
> wondering whether there was any specific steps or things he needed to
> be aware of. Or are there any guides available when it comes to this
> kind of setup (I couldn't find anything in a quick search).

You didn't say which release.  You didn't say what specific steps had
been taken.  This makes it hard to be precise.

Is the central laptop running a DHCP server such as dnsmasq?

On the Sugar 0.84 on Fedora 11 releases by OLPC, the other laptops that
connect to the ad-hoc network negotiate a link-local RFC3927 IP address,
and have no idea that the central laptop should be the default route.
They don't even use DHCP.

Exactly which workaround to propose would depend on what is actually
happening.  There are too many possibilities to cover.

Several workarounds can be found in these two bug reports:

http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9544
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9768

--
James Cameron