[Sugar-devel] [AToiDeJouer] New activity from OLPC-France for animated story editing ... work in progress

Florent Pigout florent.pigout at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 18:06:42 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Rafael Ortiz <rafael at activitycentral.com>wrote:

> HI.
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Florent Pigout <florent.pigout at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> With OLPC-France, we are currently working on a new activity named
>> 'AToiDeJouer' ('YourTurnToPlay'). The project is in its early stage and
>> still needs effort for its achievement. Here is a recent screencast of the
>> activity:
>>
>> http://olpc-france.org/download/OLPC_AToiDeJouer_Demo_Graphic_Editing.mp4
>>

> Really nice..I hope you are working on having support for
> internationalization and localization for you activity in a near future.
>

> Cheers!.

Yes internationalization and localization is on it's way, for france first,
but i18n text will be extracted and french PO redacted, then all new po
files would be welcome ;)

> I confirm, this demo goes really fast, and doesn't reflect standard use or
>> discovery. But as the status of this project, it gives an idea of the goal
>> we aim and the remaining work to do.
>>
>> The activity should be provided with 4 stories on an USB stick. For
>> download, these stories should be delivered separately but we didn't work on
>> that issue yet.
>>
>> List of the USB stories:
>> . Le corbeau et le renard
>> . La grenouille qui veut se faire aussi grosse que le bœuf
>> . Le lièvre et la tortue
>> . La cigale et la fourmi
>>
>> This activity fully use GTK as UI library and gst for sound playing. It's
>> ok, if we key keep a rendering of 1 frame per second, but the performance
>> issue can evolve if we find a nicer way to edit the story and manage
>> editable frame transition. May be we will be able to manage story with more
>> than 1 frame per second and will need stronger rendering backend, like a
>> pygame integration in the GTK all thing. I found some info about that but
>> haven't try anything yet.
>>
>> For the USB version, children will open the activity with an existing
>> story and play with it. But managing graphics, sequences, sounds, frames,
>> time, loops, etc. can be quiet complicated for children. I tried to
>> reproduce a adobe flash like UI, but it remains difficult to use for new
>> user in general, and surely more for a younger audience. We already have
>> some idea on that issue, like: put tooltip on all buttons, prepare sequence
>> in motion instead of simple image list, offer simple | medium | advanced
>> editing mode. But, we certainly to step back and see if other good ideas or
>> compromise can be found.
>>
>> I developed and tested the activity on a trisquel-sugar-4.1 virtualbox
>> instance. Also I tried it once on a XO 1.5, but it seems that
>> activity.ActivityToolbox and gtk.Color works in a different way. I still
>> need to figure out if it the only compatibility problem and work on it. The
>> USB version will use a trisquel-sugar-4.1 instance too, but it can be
>> interresting to keep an eye on compatibility for larger deployment.
>>
>> I will post a link to mockups and screenshots of the main screens soon to
>> illustrate the work done and to think about a nicer ergonomy. Meanwhile,
>> here is the gitorious link:
>>
>> http://git.sugarlabs.org/atoidejouer

Here is the main screenshots and mockups of the application:

http://olpc-france.org/download/AToiDeJouer_Screenshots_and_Mockups.tar.bz2

Please don't hesitate to share you ideas on these ...

Regards,
florent

Please don't hesitate to fork this project, send patch, comment, give your