[Sugar-devel] Free Terminal?

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:58:03 EST 2011

It makes Terminal appear as a "second-class activity" when it should be a
high-value first-class activity.

Using Terminal can be fun, useful, illuminating.  It is the ony activity we
offer to really get a sense of how your computer works.
And it is not just for diagnostics or advanced uses.  A number of basic
scripts or instructions about how to use or customize the XO require the
Terminal.

If the concern is that children might not be prepared to use it, or might
somehow 'misuse' it, it would be better to provide more guidance and
information with the activity [for instance: ship Man pages, include a
welcome message that guides people to them, and to a txt version of "Intro
to the Command Line"].

As for Man pages -- We now have the space; is there any reason not to ship
them?
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5161
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5640

SJ