[Sugar-devel] [Sugar emulator][Ubuntu 11.04] I can't install an activity (with the setup.py)

Aleksey Lim alsroot at activitycentral.org
Mon Dec 5 17:57:06 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 10:49:21PM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 06:28:15PM +0100, laurent bernabe wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I am following the ActivitiesGuideSugar pdf from august 2010.
> >

> >    - I've fetched tutorial source code for etext activity (chapter 5 :
> >    inheriting from Activity.activity)
> >    - I've modified, carefully i think, the svg picture with Inkscape and
> >    edited the xml structure
> >    - I installed the Sugar Sweets distribution
> >
> > But when I try to setup the activity from the emulator terminal, I get an
> > error saying that there is no module called sugar.activity
> > (the line in fault : "from sugar.activity import bundlebuilder".
> >
> > Have I forgotten an important step in my sugar environment ?
>
> The downside of using Sweets Distribution (and Sweets) is that you are
> getting all libraries enabled only being in Sugar session. If you are
> not in Sugar, the most useful setup.py's command are duplicated in
> sweets command, e.g.:
>
>     sweets dist_xo
>     sweets dist_source
>     sweets genpot

The reasons to have this functionality in sweet command are:

* w/ Sweets, you have several versions of Sugar (and sugar-toolkit)
* this functionality is common for all sugars
* it will be easier to keep it in one place (not in every sugar version
  w/ possible chnages between versions and having a mess if you are
  switching between them)
* the sweets command is exactly about development process,
  it is more obvious to have this functionality in development related
  command rather in sugar itself

--
Aleksey