[Sugar-devel] [SPAM?]: Re: [DESIGN] Filter in home view

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Aug 18 12:56:15 EDT 2011

On 08/18/2011 06:29 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 18 Aug 2011, at 16:57, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,

>>> Gary, with that change I think the greying out does work nicely. What is
>>> about the 'unfocusing' of the entry you mentioned yesterday? When would
>>> this be needed, only after start, but then it grabs focus when for
>>> example switching the views? Can you flash that out a bit more, I am
>>> myself a bit unclear on that.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Simon
>>
>> I want to do tarballs today and patch wise Gonzalo's Feature looks good. I was a bit worried about the possible issue described above. How shall we proceed? Do you think it is that much of an issue? As I said, I am a bit unsure myself.
>
> OK I had a bit of a review yesterday and experimented with the old favorites filter implementation (before it was disabled just prior to an old release). The previous filter's negative sides were that: 1) it switched the user from the favourites view to the list view for presenting the results (not obvious for a novice user how to escape that view); 2) that the list view hides all non-matching activities completely from the view (easy to end up with a blank set of filter results if you accidently press a couple of random keys). Gonzalo's feature implementation avoids both those issues, and even allows the ghosted items still to be interacted with, so I'm happy so see it land.
>
> Just to confirm, the new filter visual effect is also used in the neighbourhood and group views for consistancy?
>
> Regards,
> --Gary

Thanks a lot Gary for your quick reply! Great that you did the research
- and even with a positive result. Sounds good to me then. Will get it
into the build and we have until next Monday to adjust visually.

Yes the new filter effect [1] will be the same as in the neighborhood view.

Regards,
    Simon

PS: there is no filter in the groups view, yet...psst Gonzalo psst :)

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/~erikos/filter_search/home-view.png